Monday, November 5, 2012

Objective 222: Keeping Your Spiritual Fervor

I've been watching myself fall into this annoying cycle over the past few months I've been home. I came home because I wanted to truly follow God's path for my life; momentarily that included helping out at Outbreak, running Chapter Six, taking bible school classes, and delving deeper into the specifics of the future God would have me in. In a manner most Christians can sympathize with, I had my ups and downs: my fire-under-my-butt moments and my stagnant moments. I hate that. Why is it so hard to maintain a constant, full-blown passion to follow Jesus? In the last meeting I had with my girls at C6, we spent some time talking about how the enemy has no creative powers or weapons of his own, all he has are lies and distractions. It is easy to see how lies are bad and manipulative and can negatively affect our lives, but it's not so easy to spot the harm in distractions.

In theory we understand it just fine, but in everyday activity it's a slippery slope. I'll just watch this episode quick before I read my bible. If I check facebook and pintrest before I pray I won't be thinking about it in the back of my head. I need to go to the gym, and I don't have enough time to do that and watch a sermon online before I meet my friends for dinner. I had no power for six days, they'll understand why I didn't come to church this week. I hope these are hitting home for some of you. I say these specifically because I am personally guilty of falling for each and every one of them, but I think they are something everyone can relate with. The distractions are infinitely more prevalent in our culture than we ever truly realize. We like to think that we are mentally strong enough to "take a break" with something, and still come back to passionately follow Christ; the truth is, nine times out of ten, we don't. We go through a season of complacency, and finally get sick of it and step back up...until the next distraction comes.

Honestly, I have watched myself go through this my entire Christian life; it's only as I matured in my faith that I was aware of it and frustrated by it. So as I tried to step out in faith and start truly following the life God has set out for me, it becomes even more maddening to me to watch myself continue in this cycle. I move home, get involved in Outbreak-huge spiritual high; then, stagnation. We take over Sunday service, I get to baptize people-new levels of feeling God's strength and ability; then, nothing. I preached my first sermon ever to Outbreak (which I will eventually someday post on here about); then, back to the grind. And on and on it goes.

I've decided that this has to stop; if nothing else, I need to re-prioritize my daily schedule. So I've done just that. The specifics of it may be menial to some of you, but for others it might be a good outline that you can mold into something that works for you, so I'm going to post it here. Also, keep in mind that I am working on bible school courses and ultimately trying to develop into some leadership capacity (not necessarily a pastor, but something) so I'm committing to a lot more "spiritual food" than you may want to. As you come to know God better or have a better understanding of what He is calling you to do in your life, I would encourage you to adjust accordingly. That may mean more prayer time, more time in the community, more time reading, more time watching sermons online, or something else entirely; we each have our own unique path to follow, so you will always have to decide what works best for your calling. So here are my new daily commitments:
1. Work on bible school classes for at least 1 hour.
2. Listen to/watch 1 sermon online. (usually 45 mins-1 hour)
3. Read/study bible 30 minutes.
4. Work out for at least 1 hour.
5. Take a vitamin.
6. Read (any book) for 30 minutes.
Number four is on this list because first, I am running a half marathon in January, so I have to be in shape, but second, God gave us these bodies so that we can live in them and show His love to others. We need to take care of them; we shouldn't disrespect what God has given us, and we don't want to further the negative image of the church by appearing as if we are uncared for when we have more care than our brains will ever be able to fathom. Number five is the same as four, take care of your insides as well as your outside (and personally, I just need a reminder to take a vitamin, it's so easy to forget). And six is because as silly as it sounds to schedule in leisure time, it is just as easy to fall into a routine of all work and come to despise our own existence. So it is important to make sure you give yourself time to fall into a world of fantasy, or learn something new, or just do whatever it is you really want to do. I have yet to get a job, but this schedule is doable with an eight-hour workday and all the "everyday" activities (meals, shower, commute, etc).

The point is, I know myself well enough that if I don't have things planned out to get done in a day, I won't do them. A nap on the couch is far more appealing than going to the gym. Watching an entire season of a tv show on Netflix is far more appealing than studying. But if it becomes part of my routine, I will not feel like my day is complete until I have been able to check those things off my list; so I'll let the naps and mindless hours trolling pintrest go, to make sure I get the more important things done. Maybe you're different than me, actually I hope you are, otherwise that's a bit creepy, but I know there are plenty of people who function in a similar enough manner that you can understand what I'm getting at with all of this.

Having said all of that, I've been working on implementing this in my life instead of just talking about it like I used to. I've been watching a lot of Steven Furtick's messages through my Elevation Church app. He recently published a book called Greater, which I haven't read yet but it is certainly on my list,  but he did a series about it at his church. I would encourage you to check it out; he does really well with relating scriptures to the reality of today and is definitely the kind of preacher that has you reevaluating what you're everyday life looks like, because chances are, we're not doing as good a job representing Jesus as we should. He is absolutely not the type of preacher to condemn you to hell for being human, trust me, I wouldn't be supporting him if he was, he's just really good at showing us where and how our society falls flat.

I've also made it through a few more chapters of the bible classes I've been "taking" since the summer. Really all these classes have been doing is making me guiltily carry around my books but still only open them once a month. I think I made more progress just today than in the past few months combined. There were a few things that stuck out to me in one of the chapters and I wanted to share them here (all quotes are either scriptures or from the textbook).
1. (in reference to Matthew 5:13-16, talking about salt and light) There were many good points, but one thing to think about for each of these: "Salt creates thirst. ... 'Do I make people thirsty enough to seek God for the answers to life's questions?'" // "...light prevents tripping over obstacles... 'Are people safer because they are on the same path as me?'"
2. (in reference to having an attitude of love) "You cannot always choose your circumstances, but you can always choose your attitude." Matthew 5:48 (msg): "In a word, what I'm saying is, grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. [italics are mine, not in text]"
3. "Just remember that regardless of your present circumstances, the end of the story is still being written for you." (in reference to Matthew 5:48 and Matthew 6:33-34)
4. (in reference to Romans 12:12) "Impatience puts my comfort before God's plan."
and last but not least,
5. Romans 12:11: "Keep your spiritual fervor." 1 Thessalonians 5:19: "Do not put out the Spirit's fire." "...we have a personal responsibility to maintain that fervor, that fire! We cannot excuse ourselves based on feelings or emotions."

The last one is full of meaning for me, and is ultimately why I am posting right now. I find the "coincidences" of my life so humorous sometimes; this is no exception:
1. If you know anything about my "222" thing, you'll understand well. The gist is that the number has stalked me for a few years and I believe it holds a certain significance.
2. I love the poetry from pairing the word "fervor" with some significant precursor. That's why my user name on here is Traveling Fervor.
3. Based on this entire post, you now understand my need to maintain a consistent passion for Christ.

Bring together those three "coincidences" and you'll get this blog post from me. Ah "coincidences", you're too funny...

1 comment: